Gajrela (Gajar Halwa) Recipes
Traditional Punjabi winter dessert prepared with grated carrots, pure ghee, milk , sugar, khoya and a mix of dry fruits laced with broiled saffron.
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Serves: 04 pax.
Ingredients and Quantity:
- Carrots, red-650 gm.
- Pure ghee-02 tbsp.
- Milk-650 ml.
- Sugar-150 gm. / as required
- Mawa (Khoya)-04 tbsp.
- Green cardamom powder-02 gm.
- Raisins-15 gm.
- Cashew nuts-15 gm.
- Almond-15 gm.
- Salt-A pinch
For the Garnish:
- Silver leaf ( Silver paper ,Chandi ka varq)- 02 sheets Optional
- Raisins- 05 gm.
- Cashew nuts- 05 gm;
- Almonds- 05 gm.
- Broiled Saffron-01 gm.
Wash, scrape and grate carrots.
Blanch, peel and cut almonds into slivers.
Preparation and Cooking:
Heat ghee in a heavy bottomed deep pan ,add grated carrots. Cook for 10 minutes till the moisture in the carrots dries up.
Add milk. Stir.
Cook till soft and milk is absorbed for 15 minutes. Continue stirring in order to prevent it to sticking to the bottom of the pan and burning.
Add sugar, when it thickens add grated mawa, cardamom powder, raisins, cashew nuts and blanched and peeled almond slivers. Cook for 05 minutes.
Add a pinch of salt.
Serve hot or at room temperature or cold, as desired, topped with silver leaf ( silver paper, chandi ka varq) which is optional, garnished with raisins, cashew nuts and almond slivers and laced with broiled saffron.
- A pinch of salt is added to Gajrela, as it enhances and brings out the flavors and sweetness within.
- Gajrela stays good if refrigerated for 04 days.
- You may also add Pistachio nuts, blanched, peeled and slivered both in the preparation and as a garnish.
- To further enhance the flavor you may add a combination of almond milk and milk.
- You may sprinkle a little rose water, if desired.